Thursday, April 10, 2008

Inspired By The Last Lecture

Last night I watched the ABC Primetime special on The Last Lecture: A Love Story For Your Life. It is about Randy Pausch and his fight with pancreatic cancer and his determination to live life to its fullest and make everyday count. He is a professor at Carnegie Mellon University and he gave his "last lecture" to a group of his students. He ended the lecture by saying that the lecture was not for those who were in the audience but for his 3 young children to hear his life lessons after he is gone. I don't usually get wrapped up in this sort of thing but this man has truly inspired me to try and be a better person and be thankful for each day and each person who is in my life.

Diane Sawyer interviewed him and asked him what the best part of his day was? He replied by saying, I don't know. The day is not over yet and the best thing of the day might still happen. That's how I want to be....anticipating the best part of a day.

He said that he is most upset, not by the fact that he is dyeing, but the fact that when it happens, his family would feel like they were thrown off a cliff. He said that he could lay down and feel sorry for himself and do nothing OR he could start building nets for his family for after he is gone. I aspire to be a net builder.

For those interested, here is the link to his lecture: http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/LastLecture/
If you have the time to listen or read, please do. I hope he inspires you as much as he has me.

1 comments:

Princess Motormouth said...

Hey Angel~I, too, saw the Last Lecture on TV & you're right-it was more than moving. It made me weep, say prayers of thanks, and inspired me to strive DAILY-yes, 1 day at a time-to live like I were dying. It's really deep when you think of the big picture. I love you! CHOO!CHOO! :)